Home > News > Power Monitoring in the Data Centre
Why is it important to have a "Power Monitoring" solution for your Data Centre?
By actively metering the power draw of each rack, data centre providers were immediately able to see that up to 70% of racks were well and truly over their Kilo Watt per rack estimates.
In some recent studies, up to 10% of racks were more than double their kilo watt per rack estimates.
This can lead to some major consequences. I have listed 5:
- Downtime: In the event of a power failure, the server rack doesn't comply with its N+1 design (no more than 50% load on each PDU) and you will lose the entire server rack
- Void Warranty: Not enough cooling to that server rack can lead to servers voiding their warranties due to high temperatures
- Hot Spots: More hot spots arise as adjacent racks nearby are consuming more air
- Not enough capacity: Your cooling system capacity may not have the capacity to exhaust the heat
- Hot Air Not being exhausted: Hot air is being circulated to the cold aisle
Whether you are deploying a switchboard metering, smart PDU, switched PDU, non invasive power metering solution or a combination of all; power capacity is crucial to save you from a downtime disaster waiting to happen.
About Over IP Group:
Over IP Group is Australia's Premier Innovative Data Centre Solutions Provider, with a purpose to influence the future of computer rooms. We do this by having a team of committed, consistent and respectful people who are always striving for excellence both in the business, for the business and in their personal aspirations. We create an environment to achieve our best. Our products and services are of the highest quality, value for money and will always strive to use the latest technology and are constantly pushing the boundary.
John Haney, Director
+61 2 8068 8141